poverty, not AIDS, killing Africans

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 15 11:35:43 PST 2000

In message <002001bf8eab$c3fc31e0$76f246d1 at epinet.org>, Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> writes

>I would wager that Africans are less excited about AIDS
>in particular than a variety of poverty-based plagues,
>some of which would be relatively cheap and easy to
>ameliorate, if not wipe out, relative to AIDS.

I have heard from other sources (an article in the journal West Africa, which I no longer have) the same argument made in the original article posted here:

African governments get a much more sympathetic hearing for aid requests if they are related to AIDS. The spectre of an AIDS-ridden Africa seems to excite the Western imagination in a way that more prosaic problems do not. -- Jim heartfield