[Fwd: THE TEARS OF THE MIGHTY]

Wed Mar 15 15:08:40 PST 2000

Also, Doug shifts the question. First all here should declare on whether they agree that freedom from racism is more important or even as important as freedom of speech. To not take a position on that is a diversion. How that priority is enforced is a separate issue.

CB

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Charles Brown wrote:
>
> >So , I say the political value of freedom from racism is more
> >important than the value of freedom of speech.
>
> And who will decide what qualifies as "racism," and therefore
> unprotected? You? Bill Clinton? William Rehnquist? David Duke?

I have differences with Charles over granting more power to the state -- but I do think also that in principle "No free speech for racism" is correct. Doug's question is also important-- but only in terms of a prior acceptance of the principle. There are of course ways to suppress free speech other than through formal operation of state power, and those routes should be explored. I would see no particular limit, for example, to covert actions directed at a professor who showed consistent racist practices *or* ideas.

Carrol