Ruling Ideas & Illusions of Freedom (was Re: Pro-ITN Libel Suit Post)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 15 20:24:10 PST 2000

Nathan wrote:
>I am against the right of the state to assess economic damages
>against a newspaper for political reporting, but on the issue of truth, it
>is worth noting that a jury was unconvinced by LM's reporting.

Those who take ruling ideas for truth have already lost the freedom of thought, not to mention the freedom of speech. That is why under normal American conditions of capitalism the state seldom has to go so far as to employ fascist measures to censor speech. Quite a few have already censored themselves, _and_ they think they are "free." To rewrite Rousseau, "Man is born free; and everywhere he is in chains. One thinks himself the master of his own ideas, and still remains a slave."

Yoshie