Pro-ITN Libel Suit Post (re: THE TEARS OF THE MIGHTY

Paul Wight pwight at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 16 13:47:04 PST 2000

Nathan said:

Penny Marshall and Ian Williams were accused not of faking a picture with camera angles to get heightened impact (a pretty common journalist sin), but of faking the very existence of a prison camp at all.

-- Nathan Newman

------------------------ This is just not true at all. Just to say what *I thought* LM said in their article, it never ever said it was a faked picture ("faked" was certainly never used), but that in the famous shot which the rest of the world took to be proof of a WWII style concentration camp, the barbed wire fence was round the journalists and not the inmates. This has never really been denied by anyone, but I think it has been supressed, possibly as it was embarrassing.

As to whether people were free to leave whenever they wanted, personally, I really don't know. I doubt they were at all times, but it seems clear some of them went there on their own accord. Would you call it a prison camp? Possibly. As a remote observer, I really, really, do not know what the character of the camp was, but I am sure it wasn't a Nazi style concentration camp - which the rest of the world assumed, from that particular shot.

I'm not sure anyone will ever know, especially if it can't be discussed.

In all the other articles I've read in LM, I don't think they have ever taken a pro-Serb position, more of an anti Western intervention stance, since they (and I) thought that it was making things worse for everyone there and was being done for domestic political reasons. I would tell you to read the article for yourself, and make your own mind up, as the people who read it when it was published did, but of course you can't, and I would be rather afraid to tell you what was in it given what has happened.

cheers, Paul