Rebuttal to Nathan

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Thu Mar 16 15:15:48 PST 2000

Nathan, hold on a second.

I admire Ed Vulliamy and I liked his Guardian piece, even though I'm against libel suits on principle and I find his position on Bosnia mad. But Doug is right: Your arguments turn everyone into a pro-Serb or a pro-NATO lackey. Invidiousness lies at the heart of the Ed Vulliamy-Ian Williams line: either you're with the "victims" or you're against them.

There were a lot of victims in Bosnia. But alongside tens of thousands of Muslims who died, there were tens of thousands of Serbs. What do you--or Vulliamy or Williams--have to say about them? Nothing much. Vulliamy once said to me that, yes, Muslims committed atrocities during the war: "But wouldn't you?"

So the Bosnia-solidarity crowd adopts all the poisonous hallmarks of indiginous Balkan nationalism. "The Serbs started it." "Whatever crimes we committed, theirs were worse." "Oh, they're all murderers." Is this really how a Western intellectual should respond to the ex-Yugoslavia crisis? By mimicking all the worst traits of Balkan politics?

Of course, a small faction of pro-Serb leftists does just the same. These people are vile. Ramsey Clark and his ilk are demented--the anti-imperialist left's own worst enemies. But they represent a microscopic fraction of the opposition to NATO--at least on the left--and their views have an audience of approximately twelve. You cannot begin to compare their influence with the likes of David Rieff, Mark Danner, Ed Vulliamy, Michael Ignatieff, and Christiane Amanpour and other anti-Serb partisans.You do yourself no favors, Nathan, when you deliberately tar principled anti-interventionists with that brush.

Then there is your rhetorical sleight-of-hand on the consequences of the Kosovo bombing. Let me set the record straight. Virtually no one denies the Serbs committed terrible crimes. Those who do are marginal figures waiting for the next pronunciamento from Tanjung. The anti-bombers' case hinges on two main arguments which I have never seen you refute:

(1) That NATO's bombing precipitated violence in Kosovo on a much greater scale than would have happened without the bombing. In other words, that bombing made things worse. The standard reply here is that Milosevic would have carried out the same campaign of mass expulsions anyway. But does anybody seriously believe this? Of course, it's an empirical question. We don't have all the evidence yet. But can you explain what evidence there is?

Reportedly, Yugoslav Army plans for "Operation Horseshoe" were intercepted by Austrian intelligence in autumn 1998. This is plausible. We're talking about contingency plans--Belgrade's strategy for a worst-case-scenario. No date was scheduled for their implementation. All militaries make such plans. NATO and its members undoubtedly have plans drawn up for invasions of Kosovo, Serbia, Iraq, Colombia, and a dozen other places. That doesn't mean NATO will ever do these things. And those plans CERTAINLY would not justify a "pre-emptive strike" against NATO by any of the countries targeted.

All the evidence points to Milosevic's intent to keep the Kosovo fight on a low simmer while he angled for a better deal. Javier Solana even says he once overheard a Yugoslav general joke--months before Rambouillet--"a village a day keeps NATO away." In other words, Western pressure--including sanctions--were deterring Milosevic from unleashing something much more savage. It is under just those conditions that diplomacy is intended to forge a settlement. But the U.S. was never interested in diplomacy. It had set its sights on using force long before Rambouillet.

(2) The second anti-interventionist argument is that the murders in Kosovo were vastly exaggerated into claims of genocide by the NATO propaganda machine in order to quiet the opposition. Here your counter-arguments are ridiculous. You are being deliberately obtuse when you claim that opponents of the war have mischievously picked out the "upper end" of NATO's range of estimates to make the actual figures seem small.

Here's the bottom line: NATO launched a calculated propaganda campaign during the war to convince the Western public that Milosevic was trying to systematically exterminate the Albanian population. NATO never actually *said* that Milosevic was doing this. That's because they knew he wasn't--and that sooner or later this would have to be discovered.

Thus, the "500,000 missing Albanian men" ploy. The advantage of "missing" victims--rather than dead ones--is that you can always "find" them later. Again, Nathan: The point was to sway the public into believeing that genocide was taking place. Why? Because the rationale for the war had been to deter Milosevic's "imminent" genocide. As the war dragged on unexpectedly--and public opposition grew--NATO needed to show the public that the predicted Serbian genocide was taking place just as they said it would--and that therefore nothing short of total victory would suffice.

(WSJ 12/31/99: "We were all hamstrung," a NATO official says. As the war dragged on, he says, NATO saw a fatigued press corps drifting toward the contrarian story: civilians killed by NATO's bombs. NATO stepped up its claims about Serb "killing fields.")

And it worked. The front pages of every newspaper carried the 500,000 figure, along with grim pictures of huddled refugees. TV images of freight trains full of Albanians were interspersed with pictures of Holocaust trains to Auschwitz. Do you want to know how effective the propaganda was? In the first few weeks, *I* believed that probably tens of thousands of Albanians were killed. I really believed that.

You seem to doubt that NATO lied at all during the bombing. I suppose you think that since this was the world's first virtuous war--different from all those that came before it--the Pentagon propaganda machine wasn't geared up to sell it? Do you remember the phony Nicaraguan MiG crisis? The medical students in Grenada? The Kuwaiti babies pulled from incubators?

The number of dead probably isn't even close to 10,000. I don't know where you get that figure. I do know that it first surfaced at a British foreign ministry press conference soon after KFOR entered the province last June, to better illustrate the anticipated mass graves stories. The methodology went like this: An estimated 500 graves with an average of 20 bodies each. These numbers were picked out of thin air. The WSJ correspondents in Pristina report that most graves have no more than 5 bodies. Apparently, the ICTY has received "reports" totaling 11,000 dead. But the biggest "reports" have turned out to be hoaxes, like the Trepca mines.

According to Del Ponte's UN Security Council briefing, so far, ICTY investigators have found 2,108 bodies. According to Gen. Jan Joostein, the former KFOR spokesman in Pristina, out of 2,108 bodies, only 850 were victims of war crimes. In other words, the rest were fighters. Emilio Perez Pujol, the Spanish forensic investigator for the ICTY, was told by the UN to expect 2,000 bodies in his assigned sector of Kosovo. Only 187 turned up. By that ratio, if the UN estimates 11,000 war-crime murders in all of Kosovo, the real total would end up at about 1,028. Pujol projects that when the investigation is completed, that total will probably amount to 2,500. That includes some killings in ambigous or uncertain situations.

So 2,500 is the best estimate, Nathan, not 10,000. Note that even with this much lower figure, the damage is so much worse than if the turmoil had continued at its pre-bombing level. In the year of civil war from March 1998 to March 1999, 2000 people were killed. (That includes some Serbs and KLA, but mostly Albanian civilians.) That converts to 417 dead in two-and-a-half months, the length of the NATO bombing. So instead of 417 people dying, 2,500 died. And 1 million were expelled. And the KLA extremists were strengthened at the expense of Rugova and other moderates. And the Yugoslav infrastructure is destroyed. And sanctions will remain forever so it can't be rebuilt. And on and on...

And I haven't even mentioned Rambouillet...