Social Protectionism

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Thu Mar 16 19:46:27 PST 2000

> From: "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us>
> CB: Right on Rakesh. Secondary boycotts are illegal in the U.S. Let the AFL get busy organizing and denouncing that. This law is so crazy that it was used successfully against the NAACP which organiz>
> CB

And punishable by treble damages, through RICO racketeering statutes. I worked for many unions doing corporate campaign research during the 1980s. Sad to see the most militant comrades quiver like jelly unless a good front group (like a student or community protest movement) was involved in, say, a hit on a bank for financing LBOs (the real ones) or strike-busting funds; always needed a South Africa or community reinvestment handle. Oh well, the silver lining was that at least the threat of Taft-Hartley+RICO made for relatively better balanced coalition power and for greater union sensitivities...