"Nonpersons" (was Re: [Fwd: THE TEARS OF THE MIGHTY])

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 16 23:19:42 PST 2000

Brad:

>>Charles Brown wrote:
>>
>>>All Power to the People,
>>
>>Or, more precisely, the subset of the people that agrees with you.
>>
>>Doug
>
>Hence the utility of the category "unpersons"...

We don't want to give power to capitalists, do we? Or to racist cops? CIA agents?

It was ever, & it will always be, thus, *until* we achieve a free *world* -- classless, without oppressions based upon gender, race, sexuality, disability, etc. Leftists are Machiavellians, not Kantians.

My objection to Peter Singer is based upon _how_ he draws his line, not the fact that he draws a line. Doug Henwood's life is more important than even the most intelligent whale's in the world; Max Sawicky's life is more precious than even the most adorable llama's. Even if they become senile one day. Categorically. If you disagree with me on this, I don't know what to tell you. :)

BTW, those who think "free" speech is absolutely, in principle, always more important than freedom from racism creates a category of "non-persons," for they are in effect saying that racists' freedom of speech is more important than people of color's wellbeing, our right to exist even. For me, my dear Charles's happiness is much more important than David Duke's "free" speech.

Yoshie