China & WTO & PNTR

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Mar 17 11:36:08 PST 2000

The news of the last few days make it look like even if American labor won the fight for keeping China's annual review, it wouldn't do a thing to stop China from entering the WTO. All it would do, it seems, is give China a legal warrant to keep American companies from enjoying the concessions that Japanese and European companies would enjoy. And that could continue until annual review is finally revoked. Without America having any warrant to retaliate in the meantime.

So I'm stumped. It's looks like victory would be pure loss with no gain. What am I missing?

Michael