NSA Budget

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Mar 17 14:35:49 PST 2000

I wrote this in my Class Warfare book:

For example, on the federal level, the Central Intelligence Agency frequently appears in the press. Despite its far flung activities, the CIA is a relatively small player compared to the less known but far more powerful organizations, such as the National Security Agency. A report by the United States Senate concluded:

##... as Director of the CIA, the DCI [Director of Central Intelligence] controls less than 10 percent of the combined national and tactical intelligence efforts .... The remainder spent directly by the Department of Defense on intelligence activities in FY 1976 was outside of his fiscal authority .... The DCI's influence over how these funds are allocated was limited, in effect, to that of an interested critic. (Bamford 1982, p. 3-4; citing U.S. Senate 1976, p. 333)

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901