An Eskimo Boy And Injustice In Old New York

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Mar 17 16:06:37 PST 2000

>Having more times than I can count explained that as far as
>I know, there are only two real root words for snow in
>Inuktitut (and only one I can remember ever using), the
>lesson everyone should take from this is never to trust a
>story about historical linguistics unless it comes well
>documented.
>
>Scott Martens

an "expert" wouldn't necessarily do much better since an expert is the orgin of the fallacy. not that you said an expert would do....

http://www.urbanlegends.com/language/eskimo_words_for_snow_more.html

there's actually an article detailing the history of how the notion spread from a claim made by sapir, a student of boas.

kelley
: : : p u l p c u l t u r e : : :
a list for the discussion of media | culture | politics

http://www.flash.net/~oudies/pulp_culture.htm