An Eskimo Boy And Injustice In Old New York

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 17 15:55:11 PST 2000

Exactly. Interestingly enough the Merriam-Webster online dictionary notes that the term may be derived from a group, the Montagnaise I believe, who speak an Algonkian language. It means "she who laces snowshoes". Maybe they used the inclusive "she":)

What is the traditional story ? Did the Cree get the term from other tribes? I can't find anything in the etymology relating the term specifically to the Cree.

Cheers, Ken Hanly