Kalecki's political business cycle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 17 16:12:37 PST 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

>This suggests a high degree of class consciousness on the part
>of capitalists. I tend to agree -- and it is one of the reasons for
>feeling that however remote the chances of a successful
>revolution may be they are far less remote than the chances
>of a gradualist shift of class power???? (Or for any substantive
>changes in the condition of workers inside capitalism.)
>
>Do you see this as a contradiction in your political thought?
>If not, why not? If so, how do you resolve it?

Heavens, I've long argued that the capitalist class is extremely self-conscious and well organized. Given the high degree of fragmentation in U.S. society, I'd also say our capitalists are extremely self-conscious and well organized - locally, nationally, globally. Compare the dithering and weak performance of the Japanese ruling class in their current economic troubles.

Doug