Post-Secondary Education & James O'Connor (was Re: Pro-ITN LibelSuit Post)

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 18 18:48:54 PST 2000

Actually the point about quality control is discussed in the article as quality assurance. The author points out that quality assurance makes education even more bureaucratic. More and more paperwork is required. The author takes a jaundiced view of quality assurance mechanisms.

I get the impression that trying to convince Nathan that there might be some value in LM articles is like trying to convince him that NATO was wrong to intervene in Yugoslavia. I would point out though that there are many brands of feminism and a criticism of one type does not mean that the critic is anti-feminist. Otherwise Bell Hooks would be a rabid anti-feminist. The same applies to criticism of environmentalists. Murray Bookchin, a social ecologist, is quite critical of groups such as Earth First for ignoring the social consequences of their environmentalism. LM articles have criticised the anti-GM movement not because there are no possible dangers in GM seeds, but because the movement ignores for the most part the positive potential of biotechnology and GM seeds. Vandana SHiva for example has blasted Oxfam for suggesting the GM modified plants resistant to drought might be an aid to subsistence farmers in areas of Africa experiencing prolonged drought.

By the way GM technology is widespread in making vaccines and drugs. I expect that the majority of insulin is now human and not animal insulin and is produced by biotechnology-using bacteria I believe. Is there to be a moratorium on this too or are we to return to animal insulin? (Actually there are some benefits to the latter but since we have no manufacturers in the public sector there is no motivation to keep on producing the animal insulin. There is just not enough profit and major producers just stopped making it.)

Cheers, Ken Hanly