Solidarity & "Humanitarian" Imperialism (was Re: Yoshie's dearthof female contributors)

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Mar 18 23:41:12 PST 2000

Yoshie:

>For instance, at the Solidarity Youth conference, the
>workshop on East Timor was led by a woman field organizer from ETAN Kristin
>Sundell, who argued for UN "peace-keeping" (Ms. Sundell tried to debate the
>issue with me after the aforementioned panel discussion on imperialism, for
>I questioned the virtue of "peace-keeping" force in East Timor during the
>very brief [non-]discussion -- you know my opposition to imperial
>"peace-keeping" in general; it is sad to have a disagreement with a good
>activist who has put in a lot of work, but the issue calls for a clear
>political choice, and my choice is No to "humanitarian" imperialism).

I'd guess that Carrol would agree with me that "sad" might not be the appropriate word here, but it's possible that Yoshie is correct on her position and that the activist is wrong which would mean that Carrol's and Nathan's rhetorical, um, maneuver of browbeating opponents of their positions by resorting to the line that activists know best needs to be taken with a grain of salt. And let me add that I think it's admirable how Doug has resisted this line of attack in the past.

Peter