Why are we so afraid of unemployment?

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sun Mar 19 05:08:19 PST 2000

Juchang He--One thing you might want to consider is the establishment of the extended vacation(ev).

In the early 1960's the United Steelworkers of America negotiated a benefit with the steel corporations called the extended vacation. The idea behind the extended vacation was to reduce unemployment and layoffs in the steel industry. How it worked was the more senior employees were entitled to 13 weeks paid vacation every five years. While on extended vacation the employee received their base pay, their benefits were maintained and their seniority was not broken. After their vacation was over they returned to their workplace and their job.

Unfortunately, we lost this benefit in 1983 due to global competiton, elimination by the steel corporations of production facilities, an economic recession, and a lack of resolve on our own part to wage a national steel strike over this and other issues.

As far as I know we were the only labor union in the USA to negotiate this benefit with the corporations--if--other labor unions in other industries had follwed our example we would have more good jobs today in the USA.

If it is true that the unemployment rate in China is as high as 17% of the workforce---the last thing you in China want to do is follow the lead of the American corporatists and their corporations. Tell the American corporatists you want the same pay and benefits they pay in the USA and that you want more!

Tom Lehman