Solidarity & "Humanitarian" Imperialism (was Re: Yoshie's dearthoffemal...

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Mar 19 08:20:01 PST 2000

>I completely agree. Too much of anything is too much. I also
>am firmly convinced that all black cats are cats and that
>the morning comes before the evening of the first day. You
>butcher my post, leaving out the substantive argument, and
>answer the post's addendum with a rather silly tautology.

the substantive argument had nothing to do with justin's post. he made pretty clear that he was referring to issues that leftists would find make or break issues. that he didn't refer to their position on the third way or brwon v. boe or what have you does NOT meant that there are no make or break issues to which soli DOES committ itself. the examples you used were wild examples that have nothing to do with soli or left groups in general. their arguments, differences, disagreements are, just as on this list, are more subtle. that is because carrol no arguments can be had unless their is a shared foundation of agreement--whether parties are cognizant of them or not and whether they articular them or not, is not the issue. justin should not have been expected to outline all their points of commitment. he should have been allowed to expect you and other readers to do their homework. instead of engaging in cheap shots.

i apparently am not the only one who thinks you willfully misread and butchered justin's meaning in an attempt to rescue the damsel.

why is it that you revert to logician mode when you get pissed.

now, please explain the difference between yoshie's position on soli and alex locascio's complaints of some months ago. granted, yoshie has a principled reason for her rejection. perhaps alex did as well eh

btw, have you scolded yoshie offlist for talking about her offlist life as you did me recently. yoshie should know that we're all disembodied beings out here and we mustn't ever ever talk about our personal involvements in activism.

kelley, off to ponder peter's claim that carrol thinks activists are always right