VV on AIDS in SA

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sun Mar 19 14:35:53 PST 2000

Farmer is a fantastic scholar-activist, and has plenty of grassroots experiences in Haiti for grounding in the politics of public health. No one disputes that socio-economic factors aggravate (and in many cases cause) ill-health. But Farmer is clearly not denying the HIV-AIDS link, as are those who, like Thabo Mbeki, are apparently looking for some way to avoid paying a wee bit of money on AZT to save tens of thousands of lives...