VV on AIDS in SA

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sun Mar 19 15:25:10 PST 2000

> From: Jim heartfield <jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk>
> Thabo Mbeki's doubts about AIDS might well be motivated by a penny-
> pinching attitude to health care (it's not the richest country in the
> world)

What, Jim? The finance ministry found resources for a US$1.5 billion annual tax cut a month ago, the vast majority of which goes to the upper 20% of earners. The cabinet recently approved a $5.5 billion weapons purchase.

The Treatment Action Campaign is lobbying for about $15 million for anti-virals to treat HIV+ women during prenatal care, an approach generally acknowledged to be capable of saving 35,000 children's lives each year. The cost-benefit studies show that the preventative cost is lower than subsequent treatment costs, once the 35,000 children come in to clinics with AIDS symptoms... unless, that is, the children are not allowed to come to such clinics (one treatment, and then told they cannot return). Apparently this is the de facto practice (I asked policymakers in the wealthy Johannesburg region about this last month and they didn't deny it)... so it seems it's better to have dead children than live AIDS orphans, whose cost to a social system already burdened by 40%+ unemployment is endless.

In descriptions of Mbeki's policy (and his strange set of justifications for treatment denial, first AZT toxicity--ironic given his 1996 promotion of a truly dangerous industrial toxic invented by some local hucksters, called "virodene," which the ANC took a financial stake in promoting--and then AZT's alleged ineffectiveness), the word genocide has been used, by sane people. It's not the money, it's the priorities and the neoliberal poli-econ context, in a country (the world's most unequal) still replete with all manner of race/class/gender dominations.