Greenspan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 20 09:48:09 PST 2000

Carl Remick wrote:

>I used to be flabbergasted by the manifestly limited intellect of
>corporate CEOs I've encountered over the years. The hard truth is,
>capitalism doesn't simply tolerate mediocrity; it *insists* on it.

Hey, the skills involved in maximizing profits and the stock price are pretty different from those that make for interesting conversation or serious thought or a subversive wit. What interesting person could spend 12-14 hours a day on a CEO's duties? The pursuit of money and power self-selects for a certain kind of psychopathology - voracious ego, unreflective temperament, moral and aesthetic deadening...

Doug