Debates in Ireland over Australian policies on detention

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Tue Mar 21 05:37:18 PST 2000

[from the Editorial of the Examiner, Ireland:]

The shambles of Ireland’s policy on immigrants

The Examiner 21 March 2000

IRELAND’S policy on immigration is in a total state of disarray judging by conflicting statements emanating from Government circles. With some justification, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has drawn considerable flak for rashly endorsing Australia’s policy of detaining immigrants in compounds behind barbed wire. At the same time Justice Minister John O’Donoghue has confirmed that he is considering housing immigrants in “floating hotels” off the coast while applications for asylum are processed.

Over the weekend, a Government spokesman moved to dispel reports that Ireland was about to incarcerate people in compounds. And yesterday, presumably in a move to distance herself from the Taoiseach’s line of thinking, Tánaiste Mary Harney has emphasised that neither she nor her party would favour setting up detention centres. To her credit, Ms Harney has made it clear the PDs would oppose any move to impound immigrants in this manner.

Clearly, the Government is now trying to draw the sting of Opposition criticism in advance of what promises to be a heated Dáil debate on the controversy. However, we have yet to hear the Taoiseach spell out exactly what appeals to him about an Australian system which has been rejected by the UN High Commission for Refugees.

It is generally accepted that something must be done about the growing numbers of people coming to this country illegally. According to official estimates, around 1,000 people arrive in Ireland by the back door every month. Many of them are economic rather than political asylum seekers, attracted by Ireland’s booming economy and lack of clearly defined policies on immigration, problems which are reflected throughout the EU.

With intense pressure on public housing, there is no gainsaying that genuine problems arise when it comes to providing instant accommodation for large numbers of immigrants. Whatever policy the Government finally un veils must reflect caring and Christian attitudes towards our fellow human beings.

The outdated, colonial approach to immigration embraced by Australia, where Aboriginals have also been treated so shamefully, must be eschewed. By the same coin, Irish people have not been noted for tolerance towards strangers who come to live here and we continue to treat travellers as second class citizens. It is imperative for Government to replace the present shambles with an effective system based on qualities of compassion and respect for immigrants, and also for the Taoiseach to end the utterly unacceptable practice of policy making on the hoof.

(& from the Letters section of the Irish Times):

A Chara, - As a Fianna Fáil supporter, I write to register my utter disgust at the recent remarks made by An Taoiseach in Australia. During a recent visit to that country, I was deeply disappointed to discover the sheer level of racist ignorance that is endemic in Australian society. Extremist anti-immigrant opportunistic politicians enjoy a disturbingly high level of support, whilst many of their followers yearn for a return of the notorious "white Australia" policy. The United Nations has quite rightly condemned the "detention camps". However, their existence continues to enjoy enormous public support. Australia deserves to be internationally condemned for its current policy on asylum seekers. The fact that our Taoiseach admires their immoral approach contrasts markedly with his response to the election of Mr Haidler in Austria. Mr Ahern's ill-chosen, idiotic comments in Australia are nothing short of a scandal. - Is mise, RUAIRI HANLEY, Stillorgan, Co Dublin.