FBI Web site hacked (fwd)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Mar 21 07:44:36 PST 2000

I highly recommend the Abbie Hoffman files. Spent an hour last week looking through them. Quite entertaining.

"W. Kiernan" wrote:

> Michael Hoover forwarded:
> >
> > > The FBI's Web site was taken offline by a denial of service (DoS)
> > > attack for several hours on Tuesday, UPI reports.
>
> Have you ever heard of the "slashdot effect"? There's a web site at
>
> http://slashdot.org
>
> a discussion board devoted to "stuff that matters / news for nerds",
> that is to say, things of interest to Linux users and the like, which
> generates a terrific lot of traffic whenever they post a new article
> with a link to an outside site. slashdot is famous for inadvertently
> generating an ad hoc DoS attack against any site to which they refer.
> An ordinary hacker's DoS attack involves a lot of fake traffic; in
> contrast, a "slashdot effect" DoS attack comes from hundreds of
> legitimate readers simultaneously trying to access the victim site
> within minutes after the link is posted on slashdot.
>
> Well, sometime last week - it could have been Tuesday - slashdot
> published an article about "Read Einstein's FBI files" which had a link
> to an official FBI web page at
>
> http://foia.fbi.gov/alpha.htm
>
> that lists the most popular of the Freedom of Information Act files
> available for download. In fact I can remember some posts on slashdot
> under that article to the effect that "yeah, I can't get to those files,
> all I get is an error message, looks like the slashdot effect took
> another server down!" The FOIA archives are Acrobat .PDF files, great
> big files and lots of them. So I wonder if the server-benumbing effect
> of a few hundred slashdotters each simultaneously grabbing
> multi-megabyte files over their wide-bandwidth connections might have
> convinced the FBI webmasters that they were the target of some hacker's
> malicious DoS raid.
>
> If you've got some time to waste, go check that FOIA web page out!
> Maybe if the entire subscription to lbo-talk nails their server at once,
> they'll think there's another DoS going down. Then they'll panic down
> at FBI headquarters, that's a lot of fun just to think about. Here's
> the index:
>
> Alcatraz Escape 6/3/98
> American Friends Service Committee 1/28/00
> American POWs/MIAs in Southeast Asia 2/25/00
> Animal/Cattle Mutilation 1/12/98
> Atlanta Child Murders 7/30/99
> Baby Face Nelson 6/3/98
> Baker, Josephine 12/17/99
> Ball, Lucille 1/12/98
> Barbie, Klaus 7/24/97
> Barker-Karpis Gang (summary) 7/30/99
> Black, Hugo 2/25/00
> Black Legion 7/30/99
> Black Panther Party-Winston Salem, NC 12/17/99
> Blunt, Anthony 12/17/99
> Bonnie and Clyde (summary) 6/3/98
> Booth, John Wilkes 6/3/98
> Bowtie (Profumo Matter) 9/30/99
> Brecht, Bertolt 9/30/99
> Burgess, McLean and Philby 7/9/99
> Capone, Al 2/25/00
> Chavez, Cesar and United Farm Workers 7/9/99
> Clergy and Laity Concerned about Vietnam 8/31/99
> Custodial Detention 7/30/99
> [...]

-- << Chuck0 >> RESIST CORPORATE IP TYRANNY - BOYCOTT ALL RIAA ARTISTS!

Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe