Baruch and Hobbesy, freedom of speech, etc.

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 21 09:19:53 PST 2000

Well I thought he was both an ethical egoist and a psychological egoist. Of course being the former does not entail being the latter. Bentham was a psychological egoist but not an ethical egoist. He was utilitarian. If people must act on self-interested reasons--and this seems to follow from his hard determinism plus his psychological egoism- then there is no obligation to obey the sovereign and no such thing as justice except as what is in a person's interest. Justice could not be as Hobbes claims the will of the sovereign. And the distinction between the state of nature without justice and the state with justice being the will of the sovereign makes no sense. For it is surely bizarre to hold that what is in the sovereign's interest is always in each individuals interest It is also just not empirically true that people are equal in power in a state of nature as Hobbes holds, or that disobeying the sovereign will cause a return to the state of nature. Hobbes of course says nothing about prisoner's dilemmas and the contract is not a classic pd anyway. Some people defect all the bloody time and make a mint or even a literal killing without being punished and the social order still survives. So Hobbes refuses to be a free rider. This is a wimpy response for a supposedly robust egoist. Lets face it Hobbes is, as I said earlier, scared shitless of power. What he imagines is the bogey man will get him. That is why he fled Cromwell when Cromwell didn't give two hoots about him. Well maybe he wanted to party with monarchists in France :)

Cheers, Ken Hanly