Baruch and Hobbesy, freedom of speech, etc.

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 21 11:12:48 PST 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:25:47 -0500 JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> Otherwise you can't figure out why H wrote about 2/3 of Leviathan, unless you
think he was just putting in that stuff on the Kingdom of Darknesse to confuse the faithful.

I think he was just putting in that stuff on the Kingdom of Darkness to confuse the faithful.

> Hobbes' motto is: better the Stalinist terror than the Liberian civil war.
And is he wrong, if those are the choices.

Equally, from A Few Good Men...

JESSEP

Son, we live in a world that has walls.

And those walls have to be guarded by men

with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You,

Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater

responsibility than you can possibly

fathom. You weep for Santiago and you

curse the marines. You have that luxury.

You have the luxury of not knowing what I

know: That Santiago's death, while tragic,

probably saved lives. And my existence,

while grotesque and incomprehensible to

you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth. Because deep

down, in places you don't talk about at

parties, you want me on that wall. You need me

there...

...I have neither the time nor the

inclination to explain myself to a man who

rises and sleeps under the blanket of the

very freedom I provide, then questions the

manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer

you just said thank you and went on your

way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a

weapon and stand a post. Either way, I

don't give a damn what you think you're

entitled to.