Women and Lists

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Mar 21 16:05:09 PST 2000

You know, girlfriend, I am too post-humanist Marxist to set store by Self, much less Self Reflection! ------------------

if so, then you are in no position to suggest to eric that he is a product of his times for doing so is suggesting that he needs to be self-reflective of at least that. and, indeed, you cannot expect this conversation to take place, for doing so is an impossibility on such a view.

Especially about gender (recall, for instance, your correct criticism of list-males' lockerroom banterings on Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues!; also remember last year's debate on the history of sexing). -----------------------

and i think the point of contention that came up between us then was that, as far as i'm concerned, it's generally not helpful to berate people for not being among the enlightenederati. believe me, i get frustrated b/c i wish to see more marxist analyses and feminist analyses of some things or to even get into them at all on other lists. but, as far as i can tell, berating everyone about the issue doesn't win you much of an audience.

and so it remains the same issue. i didn't close my last post on this subject with a ref to "crambe repetita" for nuttin honey!

>20% of the women subbed [n= approx 15] post regularly/almost daily. 20%
>of the men subbed post regularly. of the women who post regularly [or did]
>2/5 are women of color. of the men, 10%.

Only 15 women subbed to LBO-talk? --------------

that would be my guess. i have a rilly rilly good memory for trivia like that. but i think if you scan back through the archives and then double check the list subs that you'll find +/- 15.

sure, you can get more in the pipeline--which is how affirmative action ought to work--rather than a superficial glance at the surface numbers.

however, i suggest that you do the work. it takes a lot of time to find lists where you might find sympathetic subscribers. then you have to subscribe and figure out dynamics to see if it's okay to "spam" the list with an invite. or, you have to post and drop the sig file {doug does this on other lists like IPE and CultStudL}. not to mention sifting through the piles of mail that you get when subbed to an active list.

since he has enough to do, I nominate you yoshie for the fun task!!!

Or are you saying that 15 women post "regularly/almost daily" here??? I suspect that you might be using a _tad_ too generous definition of "regularly/almost daily."... I'm wondering if Daniel Davies can do a gender-divided statistical analysis on who replies to whom.... Don't men tend to reply disproportionately more often to men than women (except yours truly)? Whose posts tend not to get any reply -- men's or women's (yours truly excepted)? Also, I ask DD to measure the qualities of attitudes displayed (serious/frivolous, friendly/hostile, patronizing/respectful, etc.). :)

------------ you can actually do this and they have. in fact, someone forwarded a post to me about a researcher looking at the rhetoric of argument on lists. i nominated lbo!!

i don't have time, but it would be kinda cool if someone who did could look this up. i know that there must be such analyses of these issues on line. there are probably a lot. someone did a comparison of cultstud and another list of the death of di controversies that errupted a couple of years ago. an australian litcrit person. i know of only one in print, in a reader called gender and language, had a desk copy but i returned it for the cash. heh heh heh.

i actually tend to find that most men are pretty decent on this list. but i'm weird. and i don't have any qualms about flirting having learned long ago that, in rl, the buoyz stare at your tits anyway so you might as well get over it because there's not much you can do as one lone person. besides, flirting is fun and the exchanges are a lot less boring when we don't have to be serious every minute. you know, chicken wings?

i've found only one flame overly sexualizing and uncalled for. the other flame was a par for the course tanty, but offensive for other reasons. both, of course, were over gender issues, as you know.