"Nonpersons" (was Re: [Fwd: THE TEARS OF THE MIGHTY])

Fri Mar 17 13:14:49 PST 2000

>>> Yoshie Furuhashi in reply to Eric:

>but I prefer a society that doesn't negate individuality--not to
>mention emotion, desire, freedom, etc.--in its quest for equality.

Yoshie: I do also, but racists' desire, etc. are in contradiction with anti-racists' desire, emotion, freedom, individuality, & equality. For instance, emotion. Whose emotion is to be respected? Both racists' emotional attachment to feelings of supremacy and people of color's feelings of being harmed by racist practice, including racist expression? Racists'? People of color's? Neither? Why?

**********

CB: Defenders of "freedom" of speech for fascists always posture as if they are greater advocates of individual rights and freedoms. than those who oppose speech for fascists. This is false, as implied in Yoshie's reply. Defenders of speech for fascists are trampling on the individual rights and freedoms of the targets of fascistic speech and organization.

********* Eric:
>Leftists *should* be--if you'll allow me to
>handle your emphatic, dictatorial wand for a moment--Spinozists. At least
>ol' Baruch wasn't troubled by concerns of efficiency and control.

CB: Same thing here. Eric has in this debate a bigger dictatorial wand than Yoshie. He is advocating that fascists, definite dictators , be allowed to organize a dictatorship.

************

>>BTW, those who think "free" speech is absolutely, in principle, always more
>>important than freedom from racism creates a category of "non-persons," for
>>they are in effect saying that racists' freedom of speech is more important
>>than people of color's wellbeing, our right to exist even. For me, my dear
>>Charles's happiness is much more important than David Duke's "free" speech.
>
>Change a few names in this paragraph, and I'm sure Joe McCarthy would have
>agreed with you.

CB: McCarthy was with the fascists. It is the advocates of "free" speech for fascists who are carrying out McCarthy's program.

Symmetry is the logic of off thought.

CB

***888888

No doubt for McCarthy anticommunists' happiness was more important than communists' and he lived by his judgment. So? The point is everyone draws a line in his quest for his vision of political good, as you, too, are doing in your post (your replies are your ways of drawing a line between people who think like you and people who think like me, for instance). The only question of interest is how you draw your line.

Yoshie