Hobbes on Power & Equality (was Re: Baruch and Hobbesy, freedomof speech, etc.)

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 21 20:51:44 PST 2000

True, Hobbes does not say that they are equal in power per se but per accidens since the weaker can combine, outwit, etc. the physically more powerful. But even this is not empirically true as far as I can see. In the state of nature the situation in the Lord of the Flies is a possible outcome. The weak and decent kid gets shafted. Certainly powerful leaders whether through intelligence or strength or whatever impose rules upon others. It may be reasonable for an egoist to submit but it may be reasonable to escape if possible or even plot to overthrow the sovereign.

For Hobbes, revolution is always wrong in the planning and always right if it is successful. Shit.

Cheers, Ken Hanly