'harmful speech' ,was Re: [Fwd: THE TEARS OF THE MIGHTY]

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 22 17:30:08 PST 2000

doug wrote:

> So if a capitalist feels harmed if you or I were to shout
> "Expropriate the expropriators!," should we be prosecuted? I hate to
> invoke a cliche like "slippery slope," but it seems to me we're on
> one here.
>
> Doug

Steve wrote: Only a small correction here Doug, your question should be phrased, "When a capitalist feels harmed.....?" This happens all the time to unionists. A friend of mine here in Hawaii at a rally in support of a strike that was eventually broken (and all striking workers fired) stated, "Hawaii shouldn't allow sweatshops!"...Now he and other unions are being sued for 'slander.'.... This messing with free speech from the left always has that lovely boomerang effect of increasing injuries to the left...recall the disastrous strategy of organizations like "Woman Against Pornography", which ended up serving the interests of right wing censors and, alas, gentrifiers....

Steve