Debates in Ireland over Australian policies on detention

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Mar 22 18:31:25 PST 2000

I've got to say, from an American perspective, the most remarkable thing about the Australian brouhaha over immigration detention centers and mandatory sentencing and the rights of child defendants is that there's a brouhaha. We've got all those things here and nobody's saying boo. The UN is right down the street from where I'm sitting and not even the local papers cover them when they denounce us for these things.

Michael