Hobbes on Power & Equality (was Re: Baruch and Hobbesy,freedom of speech, etc.)

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 23 05:33:49 PST 2000

I have always been generous enough to allow that great philosophers could be wrong while I am right :)

Spinoza's quote does not seem to imply that revolution is never justified. He seems to point out quite rightly that state's will attempt to preserve their own powers and attempts to overthrow them are fraught with dangers. From this it does not follow that such attempts are always wrong but as plans revolution will always be wrong for Hobbes.

. Hobbes' position seems to be that one should side with the sovereign right up until the time when it is clear that he or she will lose (no longer be able to protect you) and then you should go over to the other side! Actually when Cromwell took power Hobbes went into exile and supported the Monarchist cause. He acted contrary to his own theory since there is no evidence that he was in personal danger from Cromwell.

Cheers, Ken Hanly