[fla-left] [civil rights] Ex-cons may get voting restored (fwd)

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 23 06:01:40 PST 2000

Wow. At my limit before breakfast. I meant to refer primarily to people in insane asylums or "outpatients" . Of course the more usual term used to refer to these people is "the mentally ill" and they are in mental hospitals. I find those terms more problematic than insane and asylum. Many people termed "mentally ill" are, as Thomas Szasz claims, people who are having problems with living and simply cannot cope. The medical model is used to unnecessarily restrict their freedom and is an insult to their dignity as persons, as is withdrawal of their right to vote. "asylum" is a place of refuge. Would that mental hospitals were that. Of course Justin's point is well-taken. There are crazies outside the asylums and sane enough people inside for that matter. You could even argue as Fromm and others do that society as a whole can be insane and coping successfully would involve some degree of insanity.

Cheers, Ken Hanly