soundtracking of america

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Thu Mar 23 06:40:01 PST 2000

Actually, two stories of using music as punishment caught my attention this very week. A dean at Eastern Connecticut U. has been sending misbehaving college students to the opera. A teenager in Troy, Michigan was sentenced to listen to several hours of Wayne Newton for a noise complaint conviction (he was blasting rap music).

As for Mr. Bottum (yeah, snicker, snicker):

"HARDLY anyone seems to remember that music stands fairly low on the traditional list of devices by which we try to understand human experience. Who ever learned anything from music except the emotional power of music?"

I think the "emotivism" he decries is actually a good thing. Yeah, there are alot of cheap emotions up for sale but that doesn't mean all emotions are cheap. They are the most important parts of life. Mr. Bottum may be a life long weanie (I can respect his uptightness) but hoping to convince the rest of the world to become boring, lifeless, Plato-quoting, self-satisfied shells is inexcusable. I know he tries to come off sounding smart but the above quote is really stupid, indefensible, and obviously so (even it is true for him).

Peace,

Jim

At 08:38 AM 3/23/00 , you wrote:
>in keeping with recent thread on cruel and unusual punishment....
>
>The Soundtracking of America

"Today he plays jazz; tomorrow he betrays his country."

Slogan in the Soviet Union (1920s).