the age of access (rifkin)

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 23 08:32:25 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Michael Perelman wrote:
>
> >Rifkin's thesis sounds quite a bit like that of Naomi Klein, but extended to
> >technology.
>
> Except that she's smart, well-informed, and a witty stylish writer
> with a serious political critique.

I bought her book, largely on your recommendation. Frankly, there's too much anecdote and too little data in it for my taste. Also, there are a few glaring mistakes in it: lumping together Intel and Microsoft with CK and Nike as brand- rather than production-driven companies is one, and neglecting to mention that the average tenure at American jobs has not changed much in her Chapter about disposable jobs is another.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique