Outlawing Fascistic Racist Speech

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Mar 23 12:44:24 PST 2000

Aren't the people who are most susceptible to racist/fascist/homophobic some of the most downtrodden or mentally unstable. In so far as the first group is concerned, giving people more opportunities and a better standard of living seems to be more effective than controlling speech. For the second group, I suspect that the condition of some of them may have to do with their oppressive environment. For the others, better care would seem to be helpful.

I wish that it were possible to eliminate hateful speech through some sort of edict. Unfortunately, it is probably impossible to carry out.

I hope that my reference to mental instability does not set off too much of a thread, since we have been through much of that already.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu