[Fwd: THE TEARS OF THE MIGHTY]

Thu Mar 23 13:37:42 PST 2000

This talk of banning the Bell Curve is a red herring. The question is why the editor did not force careful answers to criticisms that have been made for 30 years as a condition of publication. Texts are suppressed all the time by editors for such reasons! Moreover, the book had no interesting finding: IQ does not account for hardly any inequality according to their own data, and heritability estimates, no matter how dubiously high, cannot justify pessimism about social policy interventions to improve scores, etc. The next question is why and how the book received the publicity it did, being catapulted despite being 800 pp of tedium onto the best seller's list. I wonder why the book did not circulate as a mimeograph sold on the street by Charles Murray for $10; instead it was promoted and reviewed (negative attention is still attention) in all media. The undue attention it received defacto suppressed discussion of more important matters (the so called free media is the arbiter of what we debate and discuss) while haunting and disturbing and depressing people for years. Yours, Rakeshcy