Outlawing Fascistic Racist Speech: Biblio-fetishism

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Fri Mar 24 11:51:32 PST 2000

>That's not it, Charles. The reason we protect freedom of speech is not for
>the good of society but out of respect for the individual.
>
>*********
>
>CB: When you say "we protect..," the "we" is society, not an individual.
The First Amendment of the Constitution is "society" protecting speech not an individual protecting speech. The "individual" does not protect the "individual's " speech. If you want to protect speech , you must give a rationale for SOCIETY to protect speech. Otherwise, why should society protect individual speech , if you don't give a social, political rationale for it ?

You're using "we" in the singular. I was using it in the plural. We *each* possess unmediated knowledge of the value of individual autonomy, so we get together and protect that autonomy.

>_________
>

>Grammatical
>language is a product of consciousness, which exists only in the individual
>mind, not in society as a whole.
>
>_________
>
>CB: There is no collective conscious mind, but grammar is a social product,
the product of a society of minds, not an individual mind.

True, but without individual consciousness, it could not have come about. It's a dual product.

Actually, your point is extremely significant. Consciousness and language evolved strictly within the context of social interaction. (See Nicholas Humphrey, Robin Dunbar, and Stephen Mithen.) A quarter of a million years ago, when we had a core, grammatical language, everything outside of social interaction was just background noise. We paid no attention to toolmaking or our interaction with nature. These tasks simply proceeded instinctively like they always had. All that existed, as far as we were concerned, was each other. Language developed in the context of people (subject) doing (verb) things (object). When we later expanded our attention to nature, we superimposed onto the world-at-large this way of talking and thinking. Let's take a simple sentence: The tree falls. In our minds, the tree is the subject and is therefore a person. In our people-centered consciousness, we saw peopleness everywhere we looked. This is animism, which got refined into a belief in gods, which got narrowed down to one god, which became, for Protestants, the mechanic of the universe, and remains to this day, disembodied, as physical determinism.

Stephen Mithen argues that racism and sexism are also rooted in this historical development. We used to have separate domains of thought. Consciousness could be confined in the realm of social interaction, because this domain was separate from both the "natural history" domain and the technology domain. But by 100,000 years ago, they had all blended together under a general program of intelligence, i.e. the intellect. We could therefore think of things as people (anthropomorphism) and people as things. While this doesn't explain why we would invent racism and sexism, it does explain how we could be so stupid in the first place.

Ted