working class civil society (wasRe: Class Ceiling--Ehrenreich)

kwalker2 at gte.net kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Mar 24 23:53:03 PST 2000

carrol i was simply pointing out that your nearly absolutist claim that no one argues that positions/analyses aren't marxist or radical enough was absurd since YOU regularly engage in such a claim, as does Yoshie, as does charles, as does angela, as does doug, as do I. if you could for once actually read what i type you would have seen that: the "struggles and wishes of the age" blah blah i wrote what was that if not an appeal to marx and an implicit claim that my claims were morein line with marx than yoshie's. i'm not ashamed or too timid to make that argument. and i don't think others are always wrong for deploying it. HOWEVER, there are times when it's appropriate. when it's used as bludgeon to beat newbies over the head, not such a good thing. when it's used to make diddly squat lint picking criticisms, sometimes not such a good thing. i.e., yoshie's arguments were diddly squat lint pinking arguments about an author writing for a particular audience. BE ought to be cut some slack for those pieces.

harper's is not as marxist journal and she aint' going to get much published in the way of a marxist/radical viewpoint, is she?

iow, i don't give a bat's eyelash about more marxist than thou arguments. they're par for the course. and i am NOT dismissing your arguments because you use that tactic. i do, however, think it's absurd to claim that no one ever does it which is what you typed. and i especially think it's absurd becase you & co do a whole helluva lot more than most people. so when you wrote:

>I don't think that *anyone* on this list (and certainly no one
>on marxism or leninist-international) has ever advanced "not
>marxist" or "not radical" as an argument.

i almost wet my pants. and i really did wet my pants when you told me offlist that, if anyone does make these arguments, then you never read them. and right there that day, doug and chaz were claiming that the other's arguments weren't marxist. thank god i stocked up on my supply of depends that day or i would have ruined another pair of shorts!

i initially brought it up b/c i knew yoshie would go on about how it wasn't marxist or radical enough. okey doke. but this is an absurd crit to make of ehrenreich's JOURNALISTIC pieces. she is not writing to the marxist enlightenederati. she is writing for a diff. audience altogether. you'd best be glad she's got the ear of someone because it's better than you and i and what we accopmlish. and, moreover, it's people like her that bring people like me and eric and peter and others to this godforsaken list and to left and marxist politics to begin with.

kelley