Becoming stateless

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sat Mar 25 07:00:10 PST 2000

> > Is there anybody who wrote about statelessness ?
>
> Robert Nozick (a viewpoint from the perspective of private property) writes
> about the minimalist or the "nightwatchman" state... He's a good place to start
> if you want to avoid going in the wrong direction: Anarchy, State and Utopia
> (1974).

Nozick argues against statelessness, in the sense of anarchy. However, individually-declared statelessness seems to be something else. If I recall Arendt's writing about it correctly, she reported that it was a bad situation, because stateless people could be deported or imprisoned on that account alone. In the nationalistic fervors between the two World Wars, people could find themselves literally between states, ejected from one and refused entry to another.

Gordon