Israeli Citizenship Based on Allegiance, not blood (RE: Becoming stateless

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 25 19:39:57 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Not a very accurate description for a country that has accepted folks
>ranging from Ethiopia to Russia - unless your idea of blood is so
>wide-ranging.

But only on the condition that they be Jews, no? And isn't the standard of being Jewish, aside from conversion, that your mother be Jewish? And isn't someone born in Brooklyn of a Jewish mother better situated to claim property in Israel than a Palestinian whose ancestors have lived in the neighborhood for eons?

>Now theocratic rules for immigration may be unattractive for a range of
>reasons, but it seems no more objectionable than most rules for immigration
>in other countries, from German's long-time real blood rules to Canada
>auctioning off citizenship to the highest bidder.

I'm no fan of those either. I'm a disciple of Angela.

Doug