lbo-talk-digest V1 #2748

Elisabeth Vincentelli teppaz at panix.com
Sun Mar 26 12:42:25 PST 2000

JSK (a lawyer) wrote:
> In
> the US, noncitizens cannot vote, for example, but they cannot be arbitrarily
> jailed, tortured, shot, discriminated againsi on account of race or gender,
> prevented from contracting,. denied recourse to the courts to protect the
> rights they have, etc.
I hope I'm not taking at face value a message that was intended to be ironic, but what about the thousands of immigrants stuck in INS jails in horrendous conditions, waiting for a decision on their status as immigrants? They often are denied access to lawyers, interpreters, etc. Arbitrary decisions are made every day by low-level INS clerks who can reject an entire family on a whim. It seems to me that as non-citizens these people's rights are denied every single day.

And as far as non-citizens not being "arbitrarily jailed, tortured, shot", I'm sure poor Amadou Diallo, shot 20 times by police officers here in NY, and not a citizen, will appreciate the irony.

Elisabeth (a "resident alien" in the US)