Fwd: (50 Years) on-line petition for 50 Years demands

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 27 07:39:44 PST 2000

From: soren at igc.org Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:37:22 -0500

Hello 50 Years Is Enough Network Members & Friends:

A little over a week ago we sent out our demands of the IMF and World Bank on the occasion of their Spring Meetings and the massive Mobilization for Global Justice. We asked organizations to indicate their support for those demands by writing to demands50years at yahoo.com.

NOW we are asking for individuals to lend their support to this effort in a new way. Our demands have been made the subject of an on-line petition, so that people with web access can easily indicate their support of our position. The hosts of the petition website, onedemocracy.com (who are not charging us for their service), will be accepting signers until a week after our Washington actions, and will deliver all (virtual) signatures to the heads of the World Bank and the IMF. We would like to accumulate an enormous number of signers to send to them.

Please visit the website -- http://www.onedemocracy.com/imfwb -- and sign the petition. Urge others to do so. Below is a sample email message we urge you to forward to people and lists; itís designed for people less aware of the IMF and World Bank than subscribers to this list are.

Thank you!

50 Years Is Enough Network

Sample e-mail to copy and paste into messages to lists and other individuals:

Subject Line: Support Economic Justice Now!

At the recent World Trade Organization (WTO) protests in Seattle, a diverse and powerful coalition of environmental, labor, religious, womenís, and other groups mobilized as one voice against unchecked corporate globalization.

On April 16 in Washington, D.C., many of the same groups will unite again in a massive non-violent protest against the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank, whose policies and practices have caused widespread poverty, inequality, and damage to the worldís environment. We urge you to add your individual voice to this growing movement: sign this petition --

http://www.onedemocracy.com/imfwb

to demand that the IMF and World Bank fundamentally transform their institutions to be more equitable and accountable. The petition will be hand delivered to the heads of the IMF (Stanley Fischer) and World Bank (James Wolfensohn) following the April 16-17 protests in Washington, D.C. Our goal is 50,000 signatures!

After you sign the petition, please FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO OTHERS to help us reach our signature goal.

To get involved with the upcoming rally in Washington, D.C., please visit www.a16.org.

This message and the petition are sponsored by the 50 Years Is Enough Network, a national coalition of over 200 environmental, development, solidarity, and religious organizations seeking a fundamental transformation of the IMF and World Bank. The petition is hosted by OneDemocracy.com, a non-partisan Web site that brings advocacy groups together with citizens who want to get informed and take action on critical issues.

=========================================================== 50 Years Is Enough Network http://www.50years.org