Congratulations on Doug's counterspin appearance

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 27 09:13:28 PST 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

>You make is seem like "hedge fund Maoist" is denigrating.

Actually I think it's kind of funny. But the serious point I'm trying to make by using it is to show how elitist his brand of revolutionary politics is, with the Party serving as a substitute authoritarian bourgeoisie in the machine of accumulation. So he can approve of the Taylorist restructuring of Chinese work organization, denounce unions as sinister plots, and reject political democracy as a sham. If it were just Henry who just held these sorts of views, it wouldn't be interesting, but he's not alone in them. He also represents a kind of First World "radical" who lives out his revolutionary life through fantasies about revolutions by the Other, far away from the comforts of East 62nd St. Meanwhile he - again as representative of a type, not just him personally - can denounce the U.S. working class as a racist (as if it were all white) reactionary mass.

Doug