share repurchases

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 28 11:20:42 PST 2000

"Share Repurchases and Employee Stock Options and their

Implications for S&P 500 Share Retirements and Expected Returns"

BY: NELLIE LIANG

Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

STEVEN A. SHARPE

Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

Division of Research and Statistics

Document: Available from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection:

http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=205015

Other Electronic Document Delivery:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/workingpapers.htm

SSRN only offers technical support for papers

downloaded from the SSRN Electronic Paper Collection

location. When URLs wrap, you must copy and paste

them into your browser eliminating all spaces.

Paper ID: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

Finance and Economics Working Paper No. 99-59

Postal: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

20th and Constitution Streets, NW

Washington, DC 20551 USA

Phone: (202)452-2918

Fax: (202)452-3819

Co-Auth: STEVEN A. SHARPE

Email: Mailto:ssharpe at frb.gov

Postal: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

Division of Research and Statistics

20th and Constitution Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20551 USA

Paper Requests:

Please indicate the title and the FEDS paper number. Single

copies of FEDS papers may be obtained upon request from Ms.

Karen Blackwell, Mailto:fedspapers at frb.gov Postal: Mail Stop 77,

Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC 20551. Phone:(202)

452-2900. Fax:(202) 452-3819.

ABSTRACT:

We estimate the effects of share repurchases and employee stock

option exercises on net share retirements for large S&P 500

companies. We find that, over the past five years, gross

repurchases have reduced shares outstanding 2 percent annually;

but, owing to the exercise of employee stock options, only about

half of those shares were actually retired. Given the recent

pace of employee stock option grants, and assuming that equities

continue to be priced at about 30 times earnings, our analysis

suggests that the pace of net share retirements will fall well

below the pace of the last few years, unless corporations use

nearly all their earnings to fund shareholder payouts. Moreover,

over the long haul, assuming corporations need to retain 40 to

50 percent of their earnings to invest and grow at historical

rates, the long-run average pace of net share retirements is

likely to fall to 1/2 percent or less.