Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 (was Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #2748)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 12:14:13 PST 2000

> >I will note that there is one exception to the rule that aliens and citizens
> >are pretty much treated equally well or badly by US law that I can think of,
> >there may be others.

Today, another: the Supremes declined to review a case from the 7th Cir, where I clrked lasy year, saying that it was not a violation of equal protection for Congress, in the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, to deny legal resident aliens who arrived here after 1996 food stamps or SSI disability benefits. I should also have added that the 9C just said that it wasn't cruel and unsual punishment to keep deported aliens whose home countries don't want them back locked uo indefinitely.

--jks