what to do

Andrew English aenglish at igc.org
Tue Mar 28 14:21:25 PST 2000

In my opinion, the LP has a lot of good ideas in our program, worker-inspectors being just one of them. However, we lack the power to carry these ideas out until we manage to convince more of the labor movement to join in our project.

Local chapters and organizing committees are trying to do that with varying degrees of success around the country. At this point, however, direct union affiliation to the LP is limited to about 10% of the labor movement, mostly from smaller international unions, some regional bodies, central labor councils, and scattered local unions. Individual dues-paying membership is somewhere around 10,000 members. Activist membership probably in the low hundreds.

The state of the LP reflects the current level of class struggle. If the LP ever manages to get major international unions to join, then we are in a whole new ballgame. That kind of shift would also imply major gains in consciousness by the working class as a whole.

-Andy English

-----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 3:07 PM Subject: Re: what to do