what to do

Mark Rickling rickling at mailandnews.com
Tue Mar 28 14:40:09 PST 2000

From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

--------- Forwarded message ---------- From: "WIP Account" <Wip at aflcio.org>

Work in Progress, March 27, 2000

NOT A RUSH --"I think it's clear that OSHA's proposed rule making is not a rush to judgment. It is long overdue," said Peg Seminario, director of the AFL-CIO Department of Safety and Health, as she kicked off the federation's testimony on the proposed new ergonomic standard March 23. The AFL-CIO suggested changes to strengthen the proposed rule, including expanding its protections to cover construction, maritime, agriculture and other workers; better workplace training; and quicker "triggers" for employers to act on hazards. Representatives of the Letter Carriers and Postal Workers also testified March 23, and AFT testified March 24. For more information on the hearing schedules, witnesses and AFL-CIO testimony, visit www.aflcio.org/safety/index.htm.