5th columnist

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 28 19:04:54 PST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Brad De Long wrote:

> >Gotta love that HCKL:
> >
> >>As for Doug Henwood, he is nothing but a intellectual Fifth Columnist
> >>whose sole function is to co-opt the US intellectual left into being
> >>another tool of the oppressive establishment.
>
> No! No!
>
> Speaking for the establishment, our real fifth columnists are those
> who are by word and deed dedicated to turning the left into even more
> of a sectarian factionalist abattoir than it is.
>
> They are, I must admit, remarkably effective...
>

> Brad DeLong

Steve writes: Really? My sense is they don't have that great an effect at all. I wonder what makes you think they are so 'effective'? Just because sectarians are good at sounding like they know everything under the sun there is to know by virtue of reading _________ and/or speaking loudly, doesn't mean they are effective at much else...

Steve