5th columnist

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 28 19:08:34 PST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Brad De Long wrote:

> >Maybe they recruited you as a sleeper while you were working on Wall
> >St., kind of like the Viet-Cong did with McCain. ;)
>
> You've got it wrong. The Viet-Cong didn't recruit McCain.
> McCain--acting as an agent for the founders-to-be of Nike--recruited
> the Viet-Cong.
>
> Where else in the world today, after all, can they find such a
> compliant and productive workforce with such effective gang-bosses?
>

> Brad DeLong
Indonesia perhaps? BTW, According to a recent book by Anita Chan, actually, there is a lot more room for independent union organizing in Vietnam than in China. Things ain't pretty in Vietnam, surely, but if indeed Chan is correct about that, well, now Vietnam is working around the same level as Thailand or Indonesia. I don'tknow if that is something to be joyful about, but...

Steve