Chomsky -- Put up or blah blah

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 28 20:09:55 PST 2000

I haven't read Chomsky's linguistic works for some time but I certainly did not find them boring. On the whole they are quite lucid and readable even by a non-expert. Jerrold Katz is certainly no more readable and Paul Ziff is much more difficult at times. But I have not read much in the area. Certainly works in the philosophy of language are not typically any more exciting as far as literary style is concerned. Kripke is not exactly a novelist and I do not find Grice or Searle all that exciting. Among philosophers of language John Austin, who has a definite literary flare, seems an exception rather than the rule.

I find your simile singularly innapropriate. Being dragged through a swimming pool full of razor blades ,whatever it might be, would not be boring! If Chomsky's linguistic works are like this then he must be writing at the cutting edge of the subject :)