Madeleine Albright, superstar

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 13:45:36 PST 2000

Is it my imagination, or is “Slate” getting sillier? At present, in a piece entitled “The Post Does a Whack Job on Madeleine Albright,” the webzine harrumphs mightily about what it perceives as the Washington Post’s lèse-majesté toward the “once universally worshiped” (!!!) queen of Foggy Bottom.

Hoping (of course) for the worst, I immediately hotlinked myself to the site of the piece that so distressed Slate, “Albright's Influence Waning in Washington” (http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27382-2000Mar27.html) and found an article that does fling a few spitballs in Albright’s direction but could not be considered as anything other than mildly critical. What makes this WP story a collector’s item, though, is the lead:

“Since taking office in January 1997, Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright has barnstormed the country from Alaska to Maine, delivering 89 speeches in 41 cities. ‘The thing I just love watching are teenage girls,’ said Barbara Larkin, the assistant secretary of state for legislative affairs, who sometimes accompanies her boss. ‘They treat her like she’s a rock star.’”

I'm still stunned. If American teenagers are in fact infatuated with a warmongering harridan like Albright, that’s a significantly more frightening comment on the psyche of U.S. youth today than, say, the Littleton shootings.

Carl