more campus reports

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 30 16:13:41 PST 2000

[from Sam Smith's Progressive Review]

ON CAMPUS

MARTY LEARY, TULANE: Last night was amazing here in New Orleans. Our campus police threatened to "forcibly remove us" from the building but when they arrived there were 200 plus people outside and 30 plus people inside making a hell of a racket. They decided to lock the door and put police on the inside and let us stay In other words, after the day-long show down we won! We won the battle but the war has only begun. Today we step up the pressure and see what happens

ERIC WINTERS, ST. LOUIS UNIVERSITY: Last night, the Student Government Association requested that the Saint Louis University community observe an April 4 boycott of Sodexho-Marriott food services. Leaders from the national student group -- Not With Our Money: Students Stop Prisons-For-Profit -- are encouraging students from the 400+ campuses serviced by Sodexho-Marriott to refrain from eating in cafeterias and food courts on April 4. According to the Prison Moratorium Project, Sodexho Alliance is "the largest single investor in the world's biggest private prison company, with an 11% investment in Corrections Corporation of America and 9% of the outstanding shares of Prison Realty Trust."